Contact the NOWRA Office at 978-496-1800 or by email for additional benefits. New benefits are being evaluated and appropriate offerings will be added in the coming months.
Representation in Washington and in Your State
NOWRA is working to secure legislative and policy changes which foster expanded use of onsite and decentralized technology and which can help the industry address the policy, management, and financial issues caused in large part by neglect at the federal level. In 2014, NOWRA established a strong lobbying presence in Washington intended to increase our industry’s share of new construction from 30% to 35%, secure more federal funding to address challenges facing the industry, and get EPA to change policies which discriminate against our industry.
85 million Americans—a quarter of our population—rely on onsite treatment systems instead of public sewer systems, but of the billions of dollars the federal government gives the states to address wastewater treatment, we receive less than 1% of those dollars. This is fundamentally unfair to our interests in a number of ways:
- It hurts our businesses. Lack of access federal funding means fewer sales and fewer jobs.
- It hurts our customers. Public sewer systems have received billions of federal funds to repair, replace and upgrade their wastewater treatment plants Homeowners who need to repair, replace or upgrade the wastewater treatment plant in their back yard are basically told they are on their own.
- It’s taxation without representation. Because we receive virtually no federal funds our federal tax dollars are in essence subsidizing public sewer systems.
- It’s bad for public health and the environment.
NOWRA believes this has gone on for far too long. That’s why we work with Congress and Federal agencies to provide more funding and help change policies which make the use of onsite/decentralized systems more difficult.
NOWRA’s efforts are paying off.
- In 2016 we established the Decentralized Wastewater Recycling Congressional Caucus on Capitol Hill. Many Members of Congress have joined our Caucus.
- In 2018 we passed the NOWRA Act, which requires policy changes at EPA and makes them periodically report to Congress about what they are doing to support onsite/decentralized facilities.
- In 2018 we worked with RCAP to include authorization of up to $100 million in funding over the next five years to fix failing septic systems in economically disadvantaged rural communities.
Continuing Education Opportunities
NOWRA has established the Installer Academy as the national educational entity for the decentralized wastewater industry to ensure that quality training programs are available for all industry practitioners. By participating in NOWRA’s Education Programs, members gain a learned foundation that continuously builds personal and professional opportunities while enjoying discounts on registration costs.
- Classroom: These courses focus on the procedures and practices for installation, operation, maintenance and trouble-shooting of onsite systems, and typically qualify for continuing education credits. Many are offered by NOWRA-affiliated state groups. They are listed separately and updated regularly on NOWRA’s website. NOWRA is prepared to offer Installer Academy training courses to any qualified organization and welcomes inquiries. For an overview of current training offerings, click here.
- Online: NOWRA recently introduced its Online Learning Academy, a continuing education option for members to obtain the CEUs they need to stay in business. NOWRA has developed several courses available to members, and several states have also developed their own state-specific content. Members receive substantial discounts for courses offered through the online learning platform and more flexibility in obtaining continuing education credits. Note: not all states accept online courses for continuing education credit, so check to make sure your state has approved the online course for CEUs before taking the course.
Every NOWRA member receives a free listing on the Septic Locator, the only national, searchable directory of providers of onsite wastewater management services. Your listing is controlled by you—you can change contact information, services offered, and other information in real time. Coming soon you will have the chance to enhance your listing as well.
Insurances for Onsite Septic and Sewer Contractors and Suppliers
NOWRA has partnered with WaterColor Management to offer discount insurances for the onsite industry. Comprehensive General, Professional & Pollution Liability; Auto; Workers Comp; and Property insurances are available for:
- Septic & Sewer Installation, Pumping, Design and Maintenance
- Septic Equipment, Chemical Manufacturing & Supply
- Water & Wastewater Treatment and Contracting
- Groundwater Drilling
- Sewage & Grease Trap Disposal
- Consultants, Designers, Scientists, and Engineers
- Port-a-Potty Operations
- Rural Water and Wastewater Districts
WaterColor knows water. There are no policy exclusions for e.g. Radon, Arsenic, Bacteria, Lead, Waterborne Pathogens or other Contaminants.
Errors & Omissions Insurance for Designers and Inspectors
We’ve partnered with The Powderhorn Agency, to endorse their Errors and Omissions insurance coverage for septic system designers and inspectors. If your design or inspection work is primarily residential, you may find this coverage to be significantly less expensive than similar coverage from your insurance carrier.
Pro-Sept Residential Septic Repair and Replacement Plan
You can help your customers protect themselves against catastrophic septic repairs or system replacement by recommending they consider the Pro-Sept warranty program. You help yourself at the same time, as NOWRA members earn $30 for each customer referral.
NOWRA has resumed publication of the Onsite Journal magazine. This 4-color magazine offers useful information about national developments affecting onsite wastewater, reports from state affiliates and industry vendors, and updates on NOWRA programs and services of interest. Published quarterly.
NOWRA’s Resource Library is intended to be a one-stop portal to help you identify critical information online which can help you manage your business. Published industry research, how-to manuals, regulations, financing, public outreach materials, and archived training materials are among the valuable items contained in this always growing library.
Onsite Wastewater Mega-Conference
Since 2015, NOWRA has held its annual conference in conjunction with various state affiliates organizations, teaming up to offer the Onsite Wastewater Mega-Conference—the largest national conference and trade show solely dedicated to onsite wastewater business. For details on recent Mega-Conferences, visit NOWRA’s Conference section on the website.
NOWRA provides all members with opportunities to have a voice in its affairs. Whether you express that by voting in NOWRA’s Board of Directors elections, participating in our Annual Meeting, commenting on proposals, volunteering your time on a committee or task force, or simply sharing your views with a board member, NOWRA welcomes and encourages your involvement in our activities. The greater the involvement of its members, the stronger our industry becomes, and the better we are able to work to positively shape its future.
NOWRA works to support its state organizations in a variety of ways: training discounts, Roe-D-Hoe(R) support, meetings with state leaders, data/web services and much more.
National Backhoe Roe-D-Hoe® Competition
Held annually, this competition is intended to showcase the skills of contractors and the equipment they operate through a series of timed exercises contestants must perform on a backhoe. NOWRA also sanctions a number of state Roe-D-Hoe® competitions around the country; the state winners are automatically grandfathered into the national finals where they compete against the winner of the open competition. Watch a video of 2012 Roe-D-Hoe® highlights here.
Equipment Loan Discounts
NOWRA has partnered with Wells Fargo to provide NOWRA members with discounts on interest rates and document fees for equipment purchases in excess of $50,000. Wells Fargo’s Specialty Vehicles Division is offering NOWRA members a quarter percent discount. (25 basis points) off of the prevailing interest rate for purchases of vehicles or related equipment which are financed through their division. If the going rate is 6%, NOWRA members will be able to apply for a loan at a 5.75% rate. In addition, Wells Fargo will reduce its document fees charge from $500 to $350. Over the life of a $50,000 loan financed for five years, the savings for NOWRA members would be approximately $500.00. As with any loan request, applicants must still qualify for financing under the terms and conditions of the lending authority.
This membership benefit is unique for NOWRA members. No other onsite association is able to offer this discount to its members. Click here to take advantage of this members-only program.
Office Supplies Discounts
NOWRA has teamed with Office Depot to bring your business a better office supply solution. Download Office Depot discount application and information.