US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Clean Water State Revolving Fund - Provides grants to all 50 states and Puerto Rico to operate a revolving loan program that provides low-interest financing for wastewater and other water quality projects. Over half of the states have developed special programs for small, disadvantaged communities.
- Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF) Funds infrastructure improvements in drinking water systems. The DWSRF emphasizes funding to small and economically disadvantaged communities and other programs that encourage preventing pollution to drinking water.
- Nonpoint Source Program (Section 319 Program) - Provides grants to States, territories, and Indian tribes to support a wide variety of activities (including technical assistance, financial assistance, education, training, technology transfer, demonstration projects, and monitoring) to encourage State and local efforts to reduce non-point source pollution.
- Water Finance Clearinghouse
- Wastewater in Small Communities - Grants & Funding
- Sources of Grant Funding from EPA's Office of Water
- Clean Watersheds Needs Survey - The CWNS is a comprehensive assessment of the capital needs to the water quality goals set in the Clean Water Act. The survey, conducted every four years, contains information on small community wastewater treatment and collection system needs.
Funding Technical Assistance
- EPA Environmental Finance Program - This EPA program provides financial technical assistance to the regulated community and creates partnerships with state and local governments and the private sector to fund environmental needs.
- EPA Region 01 Environmental Finance Center at the University of Southern Maine
- EPA Region 02 The Environmental Finance Center at Syracuse University
- EPA Region 03 Environmental Finance Center at the University of Maryland
- EPA Region 04 Environmental Finance Center at the University of North Carolina
- EPA Region 05 Great Lakes Environmental Finance Center at Michigan Institute of Technology
- EPA Region 06 Southwest Environmental Finance Center at the University of New Mexico
- EPA Region 07 Wichita State University Environmental Finance Center
- EPA Region 08 National Rural Water Association Environmental Finance Center
- EPA Region 09 Environmental Finance Center at Sacramento State
- EPA Region 10 Environmental Finance Center at the Rural Community Assistance Corporation
US Dept. of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
US Dept. of Agriculture (USDA)
- Rural Development Water and Environmental Programs
- Rural Decentralized Water Systems Grant Program
- Individual Water & Wastewater Grants
- Revolving Funds for Financing Water and Wastewater Projects (Revolving Fund Program)
- SEARCH - Special Evaluation Assistance for Rural Communities and Households
- Water & Waste Disposal Loans & Grants
- Water & Waste Disposal Predevelopment Planning Grants
- Water & Waste Disposal Technical Assistance & Training Grants
State Onsite Regulators Alliance (SORA)
Rural Community Assistance Program (RCAP)
- Still Living Without the Basics in the 21st Century: Analyzing the Availability of Water and Sanitation Services in the United States - A report by the Rural Community Assistance Partnership (2004) that provides an analysis of access to plumbing facilities across the United States, based on data from the 2000 U.S. Census survey.